Monday, Sept. 21 - Learning Sessions
Click here to download full list of Learning Sessions PDF Not sure which
sessions to attend?
Learning Track Selection Guide
to determine the level and competency you want to enhance.
Click here to download full list of Learning Sessions PDF
Not sure which
- M1 - Real Retirement Readiness: Leaving No One Behind!
- M2 - Physician Disability Benefits - Best Practices in Health System Integration
- M3 - Developing the Next Generation of Health Care Professionals
- M4 - Creating Consequential Conversations
- M5 - HR–Tolerated Cost or Trusted Strategic Partner?
- M6 - New Employee Orientation: Meaningful vs. Mundane
- M7 - Build a Best-in-Class Leadership Enterprise
- M8 - HR and Disaster Planning: Are You Prepared for the Unexpected?
- M9 - Selecting for Patient-Centric Culture: Results are In!
- M10 - Affordable Care Act Update for Hospital Employers
- M11 - The Business of Health: How a Culture of Health for Employees Can Improve Population Health
- M12 - Building a Learning Organization that Links with Organizational Strategy
- M13 - Using Analytics to Turn Employee Surveys into Real Drivers of Business Outcomes
- M14 - New and Shifting Health Care Roles of the Future
- M15 - The $64,000 Question: What’s the ROI on Leadership Development?
- M16 - PANEL: The Critical HR Role in Mergers, Acquisitions and Other Combinations
- M17 - HR Business Hero – Reduce Your Clearance to Work Time
- M18 - GOT BIAS? How Unconscious Bias is Compromising Your Commitment to Talent
- M19 - The Language of Leadership – Enhancing Your Leadership Potential
- M20 - A Plethora of HR Data - Where to begin? Start with the HR Metrics Tool!
- M21 - Accommodation Academy: Lessons in the ADA
- M22 - Personalization: the “Secret Sauce” in Wellness Program Success
- M23 - The Five-Star HR Experience
- M24 - PANEL: Innovative HR/Talent Strategy Includes Leader Assimilation: Best Practice Panel
Greg Hyland, Vice President-Group Retirement, VALIC
Jeanene Martin, MPH, SPHR, SVP & Chief HR Officer, Human Resources at WakeMed Health & Hospitals
Craig Cheyne, Sr. Vice President, Marketing Strategy for VALIC
Steve Maschino, President and CEO of Financial Soundings, LLC
Despite the generous retirement benefits provided by hospitals today, some employees can't afford to retire. Engaging all employees through data-driven personalization provides a practical way to manage plans for results.
- Understand what is needed to break down employee inertia
- Know how to improve actual outcomes in participation, contributions, risk, investment allocations and overall retirement readiness
- Better understand the reasons many employees avoid taking advantage of their benefits
Michael Rosenbaum, Partner, Drinker, Biddle & Reath LLP
William Buchholz, President and CEO, The Buchholz Planning Corporation
This session will address the disability benefit challenges in bringing a physician group into a health system. Attendees will learn more about integrating hospital systems and physician practices with respect to disability plans, and how cultural differences and goals have an impact on the integration.
- Better understand the desires and needs of physicians
- Better understand the challenges ahead when thinking about benefits vs. budget
- Potential solutions that may not increase the budget
Brandon Melton, Consultant, IRI Consultants
Mary Anne Kelly, Consultant, IRI Consultants
Over the next 20 years, health care will experience the most significant demographic shifts in our history. Baby boomers will leave the workforce in unprecedented numbers and return as significant consumers of health care services. In addition, by 2043, demographers predict that minority populations will be in a majority in the U.S. This session presents four successful workforce development initiatives – two directed at high school and college age youth and two focused on adult learners. These community-based programs, spearheaded by HR leaders, each serve minority populations, with a goal of building a robust health care workforce that reflects our communities.
- Identify at least four key success factors for building consensus among a variety of stakeholders and creating successful community partnerships
- Outline at least four key success factors in designing and implementing a high school specifically focused on preparing youth to enter post-secondary education
- Identify the six essential elements for creating a successful workforce development program directed at preparing adult learners to become health care
Nancy Riesz, MBA, ACC, MT(ASCP), President, Success Catalyst
This experiential program explains why disciplinary conversations are challenging, how to develop dialogues that provide clarity and cooperation and strategies that lead to desired outcomes.
- Know how to handle unacceptable behavior without sacrificing the relationship
- Utilize models received and processes learned to develop and deliver effective consequential conversations
- Learn the language of coaching to increase employee accountability and improve performance
Jathan Janove, Director, Employee Engagement Solutions, Ogletree Deakins
This session addresses two questions: What distinguishes HR professionals who enjoy management’s trust, respect and confidence? What do they do to maximize their leadership potential?
- Capture the business case from management’s perspective
- Apply an economic analysis and risk assessment checklist that conveys compliance issues in language that management will understand and support
- Apply success story best practices involving HR professionals who became trusted
Amy Smith, MS, Staff Development Specialist, Organizational Development and Learning, East Tennessee Children's Hospital
Will Ploskonka, BA, ODCP, Manager, Organizational Development and Learning, East Tennessee Children's Hospital
Come learn how to use employee experiences, adult education principles, and fun to help your new employees engage in the culture of your organization.
- Assess orientation programs for areas of improvement
- Exchange ideas about orienting new employees
- Develop strategies to implement meaningful changes in orientation programs
Brendan McGinty, Managing Director, The Advisory Board Company
Top tier organizations have comprehensive but targeted strategic plans for their leadership ranks. What’s your talent development strategy? Get the right tools for getting ahead of tomorrow’s top talent needs.
- Surface gaps and opportunities in current talent strategy
- Identify and plan for future talent needs at all levels
- Align talent strategies with organizational priorities
Bob Walters, MS, SPHR, CHHR, SHRM-SCP, AVP, Talent System Operations and Rewards, Lakeland Regional Health
Scott Cormier, CHEP, NRP, Senior Director, Emergency Preparedness & Management, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA)
Mark Crafton, MPA, MT (ASCP), Executive Director of State and External Relations, The Joint Commission
Are you prepared? This session will examine the most common and most recent events healthcare and hospital HR professionals have experienced. We have learned to prepare for natural disasters, those common to our geographical regions, for the fires and weather related events like flooding or extreme heat. Are you ready for a severe act of workplace violence or terrorism, active shooter or murder/suicide in your facility, or any sudden increase in patient population due to any of the aforementioned incidents? What happens when your employees cannot make it from their home to work due to a disaster of any kind? What if they are victims too? This panel will explore disaster preparedness, some of the latest trends in events, and offer ideas for preparation for the unexpected.
- Gain a contemporary fresh perspective on disaster preparedness from a panel of experts who have seen all types of events where HR has played a leading role in preparation, command and control and recovery
- Learn how to prepare for the “unexpected”; there are new challenges we are facing in the world today
- Gain insights from experiences leading to the publishing of the ASHHRA Disaster Planning Guide, a road map for all healthcare HR leaders
Lauren Lloyd, SPHR, Senior Director, Recruitment Service Delivery, UPMC
Ted Kinney, Ph.D., Director of Research & Development, Select International
The purpose of this session will focus on the practical issues and outcomes of deploying a patient-focused selection-based cultural intervention.
- Handle the change management process in complex organizations with decentralized and silo’d hiring processes
- Socialize your organization to the importance of consistent selection processes
- Identify and measure key program outcomes metrics, including ROI
F. Curt Kirschner, Jr., Partner, Jones Day
Cathy Livingston, Partner, Jones Day
With the Supreme Court's decision upholding federal subsidies in states with exchanges operated by the federal government, the structure of the Affordable Care Act appears here to stay, at least through the remainder of President Obama's term. Developments and substantial questions related to the ACA continue, however, with new guidance and regulations from the various agencies that administer the ACA, questions regarding the application of the ACA to staffing agency personnel (such as traveler nurses), partial guidance regarding the looming Cadillac Tax, and the rising specter of retaliation claims. Learn the latest regarding employer compliance with the ACA, focusing on issues of special concern for health care employers.
- Become familiar with current compliance obligations
- Understand latest regulations and guidance from HHS, IRS, and DOL
- Protect your organization from the risk of retaliation claims
Lindsey B. Bickers Bock, MPH, Strategic Alliances Manager, Prevention Partners
Hospitals are positioned as champions of population health. Yet hospital employees are more likely to be unhealthy. How can health care heal thyself and bring change to the community?
- Discuss how policy and environment change impacts employee health and leads to healthier hospitals and care systems
- Implement first steps to creating and sustaining a culture of health to reach all employees, influence behavior, and align employee health promotion effectively
- Understand why hospitals should focus on prevention to improve community health and how to position hospitals as community leaders
Alan Cooper, Ph.D., MBA, Chief People and Performance Officer, White Plains Hospital
This session will present two case studies; one from a large integrated health system and one from a small regional hospital, that show how linking learning to overall organizational strategy can help drive success.
- Understand the difference between training and learning and how to develop a learning organization
- Discuss how a learning organization drives culture change and organizational outcomes
- Apply the knowledge gained to design and execute an organizational learning strategy
Scott Mondore, Ph.D., Managing Partner, SMD, LLC
Todd Horton, Director of Workforce Intelligence, Dignity Health
This case study discusses how one health care system used their employee survey to understand key drivers of HCAHPS/Patient Satisfaction/Turnover and create a system-wide action plan.
- Show senior leaders the direct business impact from employee surveys
- Create reports that put actionable information in the hands of managers
- Present survey information to senior leaders that is impactful
Amy Goble, Vice President, HealthCareerCenter.com, American Hospital Association
Chris Stone, Sales Manager, HealthCareerCenter.com, American Hospital Association
Health care is undergoing sweeping change – and with that comes the evolution of existing roles and creation of new roles for the healthcare workforce. From the C-suite to the staff level, roles are being developed and skill sets are shifting to provide greater operational efficiencies, reduce cost and improve delivery of care. This session explores these roles and what they mean for the future of your organization.
- Identify the top skills needed and major focus areas for change: 1) leadership, 2) use of mid-levels/clinical providers, 3) case managers
- Learn about the changing supply and demand trends for nurses / advanced practice nurses
- Learn how organizations are utilizing transitional care management roles to meet needs of patient education and reducing readmissions
Jim Veronesi, Special Director, The Advisory Board Company
Struggling to make a compelling case for investing in leadership development? Join the club. Learn language and strategies for capturing non-financial ROI in the financial terms you need to convince leadership skeptics.
- Identify the challenges of quantifying leadership impact
- Translate qualitative benefits into financial terms
- Convincingly communicate stories of leadership impact
Mark Nelson, Shareholder, Polsinelli PC
William Sweeney, Shareholder, Polsinelli PC
Katie Bata, Vice President of Human Resources, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital and Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center (Advocate Health Care)
Edward Rathman, Benefits Director, Catholic Health Initiatives
A panel of four speakers – the VP of HR for Advocate Health Care, the HR leader for mergers and acquisitions with Catholic Health Initiatives, and two attorneys who provide labor/employment and employee benefit guidance will share their personal and professional experiences and learnings from transactions in which they have played important roles.
- Take a leadership role in the C-suite regarding the critical people components of a merger/acquisition
- Provide guidance to the C-suite/Board on best practice strategies to achieve employee relations excellence throughout the process
- Understand legal considerations in a transaction and how to manage associate risks
Todd Wauters, Vice President of Sales, Oxford Immunotec
Chris Bos, Director of Human Resources & Employee Health, Mercy Health Springfield Communities
Become an HR Business Hero by dramatically reducing clearance to work time for your new hires, resulting in significant costs savings and happier hiring managers.
- Understand the cost savings opportunities for your institutions by reducing new hire time to work clearance
- Understand how to streamline the new hire work clearance process to improve efficiency and get new hires started faster
- Understand tools that can reduce time to work clearance, such as new TB screening method
Joe Gerstandt, Speaker/Co-Founder, Talent Anarchy
While we continue taking a good person / bad person approach to issues related to diversity, insights from the fields of behavioral economics, social psychology, and neuroscience have provided us with a much more accurate understanding of human decision-making and specifically, bias.
- Participants will understand the basic science of unconscious bias.
- Participants will understand the impact that unconscious bias is having on their organization.
- Participants will be able to guide their organization in mitigating the impact of unconscious bias.
Paul Figueroa, Founder, Peace Enforcement, LLC
The words we use have impact – positive and negative. Learn how to frame and speak in a way that motivates and inspires others. Participants will discover the importance of positive communication, the impact it has on leadership and your organization.
- Use positive speech at work and know the crucial impact of words and internal dialog
- Know the importance of empowering others
- Make their communications memorable, positive and empowering
Shebani Patel, Principal, PwC People Analytics, PwC Saratoga
Shebani Patel will share highlights from the results of this year's HR Metrics Tool, tips on how to utilize metrics in your organization, and details on becoming more predictive with workforce information - how to get into "Big Data" for HR no matter your organization's size
- Analyze benchmark results for key metrics that are "must haves" for managing the workforce effectively
- Discover how workforce metrics and dashboards can benefit you as a healthcare HR leader
- Learn about how predictive analytics is emerging in HR, and how you can start to utilize these techniques to know workforce outcomes before they happen
Heather Owen, Partner, Constangy, Brooks, Smith & Prophete, LLP
Increase your Accommodations Intelligence Quotient in this interactive session where we will learn from the latest and craziest cases under the ADA.
- Increase your Accommodation Intelligence Quotient by learning from the latest ADA cases and EEOC activities
- Apply your ADA knowledge to difficult accommodation scenarios common to health care employers
- Identify the most common errors made by health care employers that result in ADA liability and how to avoid them
Janet Lara-Vital, Director, Total Rewards and Wellness, Miami Children’s Hospital
Stacey Nevara, Vice President of Client Relations, Interactive Health
Learn best practices that Miami Children’s Hospital utilized to personalize their program at every stage while fostering employee accountability and improved health year over year.
- Learn best practices on how to customize your program to meet your organization’s wellness objectives
- Gain an understanding of how to create a successful wellness program that is personalized for your employees
- Identify how to apply personalization across all stages of your wellness program
Jim Veronesi, Special Director, The Advisory Board Company
Access and convenience are essential features of the new health care market. Has your HR team embraced the new consumer-centric approach? Learn how to design a five-star service experience for every candidate, customer and constituent that your team encounters.
- Analyze processes through the eyes of the HR customer
- Identify specific areas for service improvement
- Design and deliver quality experiences that surpass expectations
Diane Egbers, M.S., Executive Human Resources Development, Leadership Excelleration, Inc.
Lee Ann Easter, RN, MA--Organizational Management, Director of Organizational Development and Learning, East Tennessee Children's Hospital
Jennifer Skinner, MSN, RN, Director of Organizational Effectiveness, TriHealth
Elisabeth Baldock, PhD., Chief Human Resources Officer, Nationwide Children's Hospital
A dynamic panel of health care human resources leaders will share leader assimilation experiences and best practices. They will describe how it fits into a comprehensive HR and talent strategy. This session offers an innovative approach to the seven strategies needed to conquer the Seven Enemies of Success.
- Learn about the Seven Strategies for Leader Assimilation as an essential element of effective HR and Talent Strategy
- Understand panel member experience and best practices with HR and talent strategy that includes a new approach to leader assimilation
- Ensure application within a comprehensive HR and talent strategy plan