Monday, Sept. 29 - Learning Sessions
Not sure which
- M1 - Executive Compensation: How to Create a Competitive Rewards Program to Recruit, Retain and Award Key Talent
- M2 - Physicians as Employees: HR/Workplace Law Pitfalls and Best Practices
- M3 - An Overview on Developing Military Recruiting Programs
- M4 - Affordable Care Act Update for Hospital Employers
- M5 - The Ascending Leader, Conquer the Seven Enemies of Success
- M6 - Improving HCAHPS Through a Better Employee Experience
- M7 - What New Health Care Growth Strategies Mean for HR
- M8 - Past Presidents Panel: Enduring Leadership Lessons in an Uncertain Future: Leadership Constants that Drive Success
- M9 - The I-9 and E-Verify Tightrope: Balancing Employee Rights against Strict Compliance Needs
- M10 - ASHHRA HR Metrics
- M11 - An Effective Organization-Wide Behavioral Competency Model
- M12 - Measuring and Managing Organizational Health to Drive Financial and Operational Performance
- M13 - Be Proactive or Fall Behind - Recruiting Strategies for Today
- M14 - Southwest EDGE Program: Employee Leadership Skills
- M15 - Must-Do Steps for Trustworthy Performance Evaluation
- M16 - LEAN Transformation Panel: Case Studies from Leading Health Care Organizations
- M17 - Retirement Plan Update: Learning from the Past, Looking to the Future
- M18 - The Patchwork Quilt - Employment Law for Employers of LGBT Employees
- M19 - BEWARE THE FLSA: Wage & Hour Class/Collective Actions in Health Care
- M20 - Preparing for Changes in the C-Suite
- M21 - The Storm Continually Brewing Out West - 2014 Update
- M22 - Best Practices for Building a High Potential Pool
- M23 - Best Practices for Ensuring Individual Performance Goals Motivate Staff Year-Round
- M24 - Health Care HR Hot Topic Panel: Legislative and Regulatory Challenges in Labor, Employment and Executive and Physician Compensation
Nancy Taylor, Director of Executive Compensation, TIAA-CREF
Elisabeth Baldock, Ph.D., Senior Vice President, Human Resources and Learning
Thomas Cantwell, Vice President, Total Rewards and HR Systems
The health care segment outpaces any other sector when it comes to executive turnover. Join this discussion around designing and delivering executive compensation arrangements to retain key health care leaders and meet an organization’s overall goals.
- Understand which types of executive compensation arrangements are best suited for your organization and its overall goals
- Design and implement an executive compensation program that will attract and retain key talent to enhance your workforce forecasting to support the strategic plan
- Identify the sound governance practices which can help you to manage and comply with the latest regulations around executive compensation
A. Robert Fischer, Shareholder, Jackson Lewis P.C.
Hospitals have significantly increased the use of employed physicians and now face many workplace law pitfalls dealing with this new breed of “employee.” Increased use of hospital-employed physicians has resulted in new management challenges. This session identifies the legal and HR issues and best practices to increase physician engagement.
- Identify workplace law and HR issues involving employed physicians
- Learn how these issues expose providers to legal risks and costs, and can strain relationships with physicians which may impact your organization's forecast of physician workforce needs
- Review workplace law and HR best practices to avoid pitfalls and maintain positive relationships with physicians
Lisa Rosser, CEO and Founder, The Value Of a Veteran
This session reviews the basic building blocks of effective veteran recruitment and retention programs and provide attendees with actionable tasks they can begin doing now to improve their ability to recruit and retain veterans.
- Understand top myths and misperceptions about the skills and talents of today’s military, and the facts that will empower you to overcome hiring manager resistance to considering veteran applicants
- Discover a dozen approaches to finding military talent, including many low-to-no cost sources, and the types of talent you are likely to find using those resources
- Gain an insight into translating Military Occupational Codes (MOC's) so you can understand a resume written in "military-ese."
F. Curt Kirschner, Jr., Partner, Jones Day
Cathy Livingston, Partner, Jones Day
Brent Knight, Partner, Jones Day
Developments related to the Affordable Care Act (ACA) continue at a rapid pace, with the compliance deadline changes, new guidance and regulations from the various agencies that administer the ACA, conflicting court decisions raising questions about the individual mandate, threatened litigation by the House of Representatives against the President, and the rising specter of retaliation claims as the employer mandate finally kicks in. Learn the latest news regarding employer compliance with the ACA, focusing on issues of concern for health care providers.
- Review current compliance timeline
- Discuss the latest regulations and guidance from HHS, IRS, and DOL
- Understand how to protect your organization from the risk of retaliation claims
NTTP / PL / NH
Diane Egbers, M.S., President, Leadership Excelleration, Inc.
The session is a strategic, innovative approach that supports HR Leaders as they coach health care leaders in new and promoted roles - helping them to fully contribute. Review a comprehensive inventory for success followed by sequential, practical tools that have helped many.
- Review the seven enemies of success and why they put new and promoted leaders at risk for failure
- Obtain new insights about the strategies to overcome the seven enemies and create the potential for success
- Integrate success inventory tools when creating succession plans to assist in workforce planning efforts
Becky Rozell, Chief Human Resources Officer, Madison County Hospital
In this session, learn how Madison County Hospital increased its HCAHPS scores by focusing on employee engagement. With the Affordable Care Act and an industry shift toward value-based purchasing, patient satisfaction scores have become a key differentiator for health care institutions.
- Align employee goals with organizational goals to improve employee engagement and ultimately, patient satisfaction scores
- Leverage job descriptions and competencies to improve focus on the patient experience
- Use talent management systems and processes to align organizational priorities and drive better business outcomes
Carol Boston-Fleischhauer, JD, MS, BSN, Managing Director, The Advisory Board Company
Learn the strategic growth decisions facing health system executives and what this means for your HR team.
- Review the top strategies for health systems
- Understand how consumerism and population health impact HR
- Contribute the greatest value to the system while managing a sound HR budget that supports strategic goals, objectives and values
+Closed to non-HR Advancement Center members
Mary Anne Kelly, Interim Executive Director, ASHHRA
Brandon Melton, Consultant, IRI Consultants
Irma L. Pye, SPHR, CHHR, Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resource Officer, Valley Baptist Medical Center-Harlingen
Robert Riney, President and Chief Operating Officer, Henry Ford Health System
Dan Zuhlke, Vice President, Human Resources, Intermountain Healthcare
In recognition of the ASHHRA 50th Anniversary, this interactive panel discussion will focus on a lifetime of lessons learned from the successful careers of four Past Presidents of ASHHRA. Special emphasis will be placed on leadership lessons learned, profoundly powerful people experiences and an answer to the question, “What do I know for sure?”
- List six significant leadership lessons learned from ASHHRA Past Presidents
- Describe four interactions that have had a profound impact in shaping the human resources practices of ASHHRA Past Presidents
- Identify four key principles that ASHHRA Past Presidents believe they “know for sure” from their human resources careers
John Fay, Vice President and General Counsel, LawLogix
This session will reveal best practices in managing I-9 and E-Verify obligations and provide tips for standardizing your policies and procedures.
- Review the latest developments in I-9 and E-Verify guidance, including legislative changes, new federal regulations and policy memos
- Develop policies and procedures to support I-9 and E-Verify compliance initiatives
- Determine strategic application of integrated electronic I-9 and E-Verify tools and systems which facilitate the I-9 process while ensuring compliance
Chris Dustin, Director of Research and Development, PwC Saratoga
Attend this learning session to understand why your organizational metrics must be captured to ensure proper allocation of resources for future growth. The role of HR in quality care is vital, and measuring your metrics will have a significant impact in driving organizational success.
- Analyze and organize key metrics that are "must haves" for managing HR effectively
- Review collected data and collaborate with experts in quality control
- Discover how a powerful and robust metrics tool can benefit you as an HR leader as well as all health care in general to impact your key performance indicator report
Ted Kinney, Ph.D., Director of Research & Development, Select International
Heather Grier, Director of Talent Management, McLeod Health
Understand behavioral competencies in human resources, patient, and organizational outcomes, and an innovative approach to building an effective, organization-wide behavioral competency model.
- Understand the value of an organization-wide behavioral competency model and how to integrate such a model for your annual goals and objectives
- Recognize the unique challenges of health care organizations and begin an organized approach to examining the behaviors that contribute to the organization
- Start to build a standardized behavioral competency model that will create consistency across HR functions
Carla Arellano, Global Head of Client Services, Organizational Health Index, McKinsey & Company
Alex Camp, Client Facilitation Lead, Organizational Health Index, McKinsey & Company
Learn how healthy organizations “click” and what leaders are doing to “run the place” in ways that are functional, integrated, and consistent.
- Identify organizational aspirations and targeting actions to turn your organization in the right direction for future success
- Evaluate key cultural and operational components, driving insights to inform leadership on what is going on in the organization
- Enable an opportunity to impact both employees and performance metrics through a single evaluation
Michele Miron, Recruiting Director, Bayada Home Health Care
Do you want to better understand how to navigate recruiting in today’s digital world? Leave this session with facts supporting how traditional recruiting strategies are vital, but see how a deep dive into a multi-prong approach is needed for today's ever-changing employment landscape.
- How to create a recruitment strategy in today's digital world using various technology platforms and integrating the data into your applicant tracking system
- Collect the recruiting tools and techniques to attract candidates
- Share successes of recruiting strategy in today's digital world and what has not worked
Joni Edwards, Employment Manager, Southwest General Health Center
Do you have top talent your organization wants to grow, develop and retain? Learn about the case study on top performing employees at Southwest General who have completed a behavioral assessment, which provides individual feedback on nine health care competencies.
- Learn how to plan an employee leadership development program while building it into your organization's succession plan to support long term leadership needs
- Become familiar with the valuable feedback obtained from behavioral assessments
- Understand how to guide your high performers’ professional development using the assessment feedback results
Carol Boston-Fleischhauer, JD, MS, BSN, Managing Director, The Advisory Board Company
Get concrete guidance on how to build the right evaluation form for every staff member and teach managers to use such a tool while integrating the form into your performance management system.
- Build evaluations with the right number of the right goals in your performance management tool
- How to evaluate staff on a limited number of job duties and behaviors
- Proven steps for improving the accuracy of managers’ ratings
David Szary, Founder/Partner, LEAN Human Capital – The Recruiter Academy
Janice Buehler, HR Director, Cedars-Sinai Health System
Andrea Holm, Manager, Atlantic Health System
Carmel Gaughan, Associate VP of Talent Acquisition, Rush University Medical Center
Carla Kennedy, Human Resources Manager, Rush University Medical Center
This interactive panel discussion features leaders from Atlantic Health System, Cedars-Sinai Health System, Ochsner Health System and Rush University Medical Center, who share “real life” case studies and insight into their recruitment organization’s LEAN transformation performance improvement journey. Hear how the performance improvement methodology can be applied to all dimensions of HR.
- Use LEAN principles (VSM exercise) to reduce non-value added waste/wait time
- Implement a new service delivery model for staffing with recommended change management strategies
- Create a performance management scorecard to quantify ROI to key stakeholders, drive performance improvement and celebrate success
Charles Burger, Assistant General Counsel, VALIC
This interactive session will examine the increasingly complex legal and regulatory landscape for pension and other retirement benefits available to health care workers. Learn how to enhance your organization's own offerings by looking back at recent developments and considering what changes are on the horizon for the retirement benefit programs.
- Relate to practical examples when performing daily administrative activities
- Comply with increased regulatory complexity, and continue to provide benefit programs to recruit and retain employees
- Prepare for upcoming changes to pension/retirement plan laws
Jonathan Yarbrough, Managing Partner, Constangy, Brooks & Smith, LLP
According to a recent landmark ruling by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), intentional discrimination against transgender employees is sex discrimination. Participants will learn legal issues affecting employers regarding LGBT employees and will take away practical advice to prevent such issues.
- Identify legal issues for employers who employ LGBT employees and obtain strategies for avoiding harassment and discrimination claims
- Take away practical pointers for dealing with workplace differences
- Realize what key content is needed to develop a non-discrimination employee policy to include the LGBT workforce
Thomas Shorter, JD, FACHE, Attorney, Godfrey & Kahn, S.C.
The explosion of wage and hour class/collective actions, which has targeted many employers, is now focused on health care industry employers. Attendees of this session will walk away with an understanding of wage and hour class/collective actions and what to look out for in your organization.
- Outline the basic premises of the three types of wage and hour class and collective action cases and walk away with comparable, real-life examples
- Parallel the issues on which the courts have focused in their analyses of these cases with your own circumstances
- Understand litigation strategies specific to wage and hour class/collective actions and gather information on the resources used
Emily Endert, CHHR, Director of Human Resources, Covenant Woods
This interactive session will assist HR and senior leaders to plan and implement successful C-level transitions from recruitment through onboarding, with take-away resources that can be implemented immediately.
- Compare and contrast the benefits of partnering with an executive search firm and determine the level of influence/responsibilities in the process
- Satisfy stakeholders at all levels including the board, clients, residents and staff
- Obtain successful communication and coordination strategies for each step throughout the process
Gail Blanchard Saiger, VP, Labor and Employment, California Hospital Association
Attend this presentation to learn about labor-sponsored legislation, regulatory activity and initiative efforts. Topics include workplace violence, charity care and community benefits, safe patient handling and executive compensation. Learn about the recent agreement between SEIU-UHW and California Hospital Association that encompasses a Code of Conduct and joint advocacy.
- Review timely issues that are taking place in California, which are likely to head your way
- Develop a plan to manage pending legislative changes and regulatory updates
- Learn the role you can play in state and local advocacy
Debra Walker, Vice President, DDI
Todd A. VanNest, Ph.D., Executive Director of Leadership Formation, OSF Healthcare
Learn how to uncover hidden potential in your organization and build up your leaders. The presenter will weave real examples from health care organizations to illustrate how to broaden the definition of potential by looking less at performance and how to increase emphasis on less “traditional” capabilities, while fueling your pipeline with more diverse capabilities.
- Distinguish between potential, performance and readiness
- Create a consistent definition for potential and apply it across your organization during the succession planning process
- Learn how and when to involve managers in the process and how to build a talent scout program
Kate Vonderhaar, Consultant, The Advisory Board Company
Learn best practices for making performance management a year-round process, with compelling incentives and frequent check-ins on performance to contribute to the your organization's strategic goals
- How to attach compelling incentives to performance
- Integrate resources to increase the frequency of individual performance discussions while using various technology platforms to ensure timely discussions
- Strategies for connecting frontline work to the organization’s strategic plan and mission
+Closed to non-HR Advancement Center members
Mark Nelson, Shareholder, Polsinelli PC
K. Bruce Stickler, Of Counsel, Drinker, Biddle & Reath LLP
Bruce Johnson, Shareholder, Polsinelli PC
HR leaders play an essential role with senior leadership in developing strategies consistent with the organizations’ mission, vision, and values to address a multitude of regulatory challenges. Topics will include the HR impact of health reform, developments under The Americans with Disabilities Act, recent pro-union decisions by the National Labor Relations Board, the Department of Labor’s new reporting requirements for engaging consultants and attorneys for employee relations assistance and recent developments and strategies for appropriately compensating executives and physicians.
- Be aware of recent and future developments in labor/employment matters that HR leaders must understand
- Receive guidance to develop strategies and tactics to minimize HR risk and maximize organizational opportunities
- Obtain a practical approach to assist your organization to comply with the constantly changing regulatory landscape