Library - Advocacy / Labor Relations
- Latest Updates
- ASHHRA Position Papers
- AHA Legislative Resources
- Other Legislative Resources
- U.S. Government Agency and Regulatory Sites
- Union Sites
- NLRB Remains Winless in Recent Rulemaking Litigation: D.C. Circuit Strikes Down NLRB’s Notice Posting Rule
Joes Day, May 2013
- IRI Intelligence Briefing: Mandatory Patient Staffing Ratios
IRI Consultants, May 2, 2013
- European Labor & Employment Law Update
Jones Day, May 2013
- The 40th Semi-Annual ASHHRA/IRI Labor Activity in Health Care Report is now available
American Hospital Association (AHA), IRI Consultants, March 8, 2013
access (login required)
- Health Care Labor Report - Quarter 1: 2013 Now Available
American Hospital Association (AHA), IRI Consultants, March 8, 2013
- OFCCP Rescinds 2006 Compensation Standards and Self-Audit Guidelines and Replaces Them With Directive Calling for Expansive Invesigations HTML
Jones Day Alert, March 5, 2013
- Second Circuit Won't Enforce NLRB Order, Citing Foreseeable Risk of Harm to Patients PDF
Bloomberg Daily Labor Report, March 1, 2013
- NLRB Proceedings in the Wake of Noel Canning
Jones Day Commentary, Feb. 2013
- Jones Day Webinar: The Noel Canning Decision — The D.C. Circuit’s Holding That the President’s Recess Appointments to the NLRB Were Constitutionally Defective: Legal, Policy, and Practical Considerations
Thursday, February 7, 2013
2:00 – 3:30 pm EST
- D.C. Circuit Holds that President Obama's "Recess" Appointments to the National Labor Relations Board are Constitutionally Invalid
Jones Day Labor & Employment Alert, Jan. 2013
- Labor News & Views: Developments in Labor and Employee Relations in Healthcare - Jan. 1-15, 2013
IRI Consultants, Jan. 21, 2013
- NLRB Issues Significant Decisions at Year's End
Jones Day Commentary, Jan. 1, 2013
- 2013 Legislative and Regulatory Priorities
ASHHRA, Dec. 18, 2012
- Identifying and Reducing Regulatory Burdens
Office of the Secretary, May 10, 2012
- Joint Letter from AHA and ASHHRA Regarding the NLRB's Rule on "Ambush Elections"
American Hospital Association (AHA), April 23, 2012
- Washington, D.C., Court Issues Injunction on NLRB Regarding the “Posting of Notice” Rule Pending Federal D.C. Court Appeal
April 19, 2012
A federal district court in South Carolina ruled, in a lawsuit brought by the U.S. and S.C. Chamber and others, that the NLRB did not have the authority to issue a regulation mandating that employers post a notice of labor rights (download PDF of decision). Earlier, a federal court in Washington, D.C. ruled that the NLRB did have authority to issue the regulation. These two conflicting district court opinions have generated some confusion among employers.
Clearing things up for the time being, the D.C. Circuit has enjoined the Board from enforcing the rule while the D.C. case is on appeal. Among the reasons cited by the D.C. Circuit is Friday’s decision in SC. The briefing schedule on the expedited appeal sets September for a hearing (download PDF of DC Circuit Order).
- RESPECT Bill Reintroduced
April 6, 2012
- Motion by the AHA, ASHHRA, and others for Leave to Participate as Amici Curiae
Feb. 8, 2012
- Managing the People Side of a Merger or Acquisition
IRI Intelligence Briefing, Dec. 14, 2011
- Hospitals and Care Systems of the Future
American Hospital Association (AHA), Dec. 12, 2011
The inaugural report of the AHA Committee on Performance Improvement details “Hospitals and Care Systems of the Future.” The team conducted exploratory interviews and analyzed the results to identify must-do, priority strategies and core organizational competencies organizations should establish to remain successful in this time of sweeping change.
- Nurse Staffing Ratio Program
The Nurse Staffing Ratio Program has been developed to assist hospital leaders with facilitationg open and frank discussions about the facts related to effective nurse staffing and decision making. more
download flier PDF
ASHHRA and Florida Hospital Association, Jan. 27, 2012
- 2013: The objective of the Hill Visit is to continue to build relationships with senators and representatives, reiterating the important health care viewpoint. It is imperative to present our positions since their view may not include a focus on the issues unique to health care. This year the ASHHRA Advocacy Committee will be addressing the following topics during the Hill Visit:
- Workforce – The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) greatly increases the demand for caregivers, especially primary care physicians and nurses. The law extends coverage to approximately 32 million uninsured people and requires public and private insurers to cover prevention and wellness services. ASHHRA seeks to address workforce issues on several fronts – workforce shortages and employee relations.
- Employee Relations – ASHHRA will focus on increased regulatory oversight and rulemaking initiatives primarily from the Department of Labor and the National Labor Relations Board, nurse staffi ng patterns, mandatory lifting, and restrictions on unavoidable overtime.
- Ensuring Patient Safety and Quality of Care – ASHHRA believes that legislatively mandated nurse-patient ratios in hospitals will serve to increase the stress on an already overburdened health care system and potentially create a greater public safety risk.
Download the Hill Visit Position Papers 2013 PDF
- 2012: The Advocacy Committee members met with members of Congress in May 2012 in order to present two AHA/ASHHRA position papers on matters critical to our industy:
- Workforce – The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) greatly increases the demand for caregivers, especially primary care physicians and nurses. The law extends coverage to approximately 32 million uninsured people and requires public and private insurers to cover prevention and wellness services. ASHHRA seeks to address workforce issues on several fronts – workforce shortages, employee relations, and employee wellness.
- Employee Relations – ASHHRA will focus on increased regulatory oversight and rulemaking initiatives primarily from the Department of Labor and the National Labor Relations Board, nurse staffing patterns, mandatory lifting, and restrictions on unavoidable overtime.
Download Hill Visit Position Papers 2012 PDF
2011: The Advocacy Committee members met with members of Congress in May 2011 in order to present two AHA/ASHHRA position papers on matters critical to our industy:
Workforce Development – ASHHRA will address issues of workforce shortages and health care reform changing the way we deliver care and run health care institutions.
Employee Relations – ASHHRA will focus on both the regulatory front and the legislative arena of nurse staffing patterns, mandatory lifting, Secret Ballot Protection Act, restrictions on unavoidable overtime, and employee wellness.
Download Hill Visit Position Papers 2011 PDF
Other Legislative Resources
ASHHRA Labor Relations Readiness System
Download information flier PDF
U.S. Government Agency and Regulatory Sites
Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
Department of Labor (DOL)
Employee Standards Administration (on DOL Website)
National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
Change to Win (CTW)
International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT)
Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
United American Nurses (UAN), AFL-CIO