The American Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration (ASHHRA) of the American Hospital Association (AHA) is the nation’s only membership organization exclusively dedicated to meeting the professional needs of human resources leaders in health care.
Founded in 1964, the American Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration (ASHHRA) is a personal membership group of the American Hospital Association (AHA) and has more than 3500 members nationwide. It leads the way for members to become more effective, valued, and credible leaders in health care human resources. As the foremost authority in health care human resources, it provides timely and critical support through research, learning and knowledge sharing, professional development, products and resources, and provides opportunities for networking and collaboration.
- Who are ASHHRA members?
- Why should I join ASHHRA?
- Where do I find my membership number?
- I am a certified HR professional. Do ASHHRA programs count toward PHR/SPHR/GPHR recertification credits?
1. Who is ASHHRA?
The American Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration (ASHHRA) – a personal membership group of the American Hospital Association (AHA), is the nation’s only membership organization dedicated exclusively to meeting the needs of health care human resources practitioners. ASHHRA is recognized as “the premier source of educational resources, industry research, HR tools, networking, and best practices for the health care HR professional. When you join ASHHRA, you are investing in your future while helping to advance the transformation of the health care HR leader.
Founded in 1964, ASHHRA represents more than 3,500 human resources professionals across the nation. ASHHRA is governed by a 13-member board of directors, four standing committees, and more than 45 affiliated chapters who are all committed to enhancing the profession and moving forward toward one common goal – excellence in healthcare human resources.
Vision and Values
Vision: Be the leaders in health care Human Resources workforce policy, advocacy, and best practices.
Values: Trust, People, Integrity, Leadership, Diversity, Collaboration, Excellence, and Innovation.
To advance the human side of health care, the American Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration (ASHHRA) leads the way for highly effective, valued, and credible leaders.
ASHHRA has over 3,500 members that are in the health care human resource profession.
Gender: 61% Female – 39% Male
72% of ASHHRA members are 45 years of age and older
Education: ASHHRA members are highly educated – 67% hold a Master’s Degree or better.
- Geography:ASHHRA members represent over 2,560 of the nation’s 6,000 hospitals.
- Just about half of ASHHRA members work within organizations with budgets greater than $100 million.
Experience:79% of ASHHRA members have more than 10 years of experience in human resources and most hold positions in director level and above.
- Energize your organization's people strategies through quality educational programs presented by top-tier health care HR executives
- Enhance your professional growth and development
- Expand your professional network
To learn more about what’s in it for you, click here for more information: http://www.ashhra.org/ashhra/membership/benefits.html
- Educational Resources - The focus is on all resources, products, services and programs that help you enhance your professional skills and development, and assist you with becoming a well-trained leader in health care HR
- Tools & Resources - The products and services in this product line give you immediate access to all that ASHHRA has to offer via the interactive Web site. You can access industry based information, surveys, processes, and best practices to effectively manage the ROI of your organization
- Recognition and Awards - members are eligible for industry-wide recognition of individual accomplishments through the ASHHRA Awards Program
- Leadership Opportunities - A 13-member board of directors, including representatives from non-hospital healthcare, a hospital CEO, and a member new to the healthcare profession, plus the president, vice president, and immediate past president
- Several committees, subcommittees, and task forces on local and national levels.
- Joint membership in ASHHRA and SHRM
- Chapter Involvement: More than 45 state, regional and metropolitan professional organizations are affiliated with ASHHRA. Most ASHHRA officers and board members first gained national visibility by rising through their chapter leadership ranks.
- Access to benchmarking data, workplace best practices, research and other tools
- Educational events led by industry experts and thought leaders (most are HRCI-approved)
- Exclusive events for senior health care HR executives
- Online Career Center widely recognized as the source for top health care HR talent; posting of health care HR positions
- Volunteer opportunities which enhance your HR toolkit and expand your professional network while supporting ASHHRA's professional education efforts
To learn more about benefits of membership, click here for more information.
Annual Membership Dues (Effective Jan. 1, 2012)
|Student and Retired||
|Practitioner Group Membership**|
|Group 1 I: 1 to 5 Members||$750|
|Group II: 6 to 10 Members||$1250|
|Consultant Group Membership
(for consultant members only; see additional information below)
*For more info on Joint ASHHRA& SHRM Membership, click here.
+For more info on Joint ASHHRA & TSHHRAE Chapter Membership, click here.
**Pricing indicated under "Corporate Memberships" is for ASHHRA Membership only. To include SHRM Membership, add $180 per person.
Granted to persons who have management or other professional responsibility for human resources, personnel or employee relations function in a health care institution. Employment must be in a health care setting (either health care HR or other health care occupation).
Professional consultant member employed by a non-health care institution, firm, or company. Granted to consultants, whose primary function is human resources administration in consulting, recruitment, training and development.
- Current Full-time status (20+ hours - provide current transcript)
- Provide school name and current phone number of admissions office
- Include copy of student ID
- Student membership is limited to 4 years.
- Above information must be verified on an annual basis.
- Employment must be in a hospital setting.
- No longer working in health care field.
- No longer consulting in health care industry.
Additional Membership Information
- Membership dues are non-refundable.
- The Corporate Category was changed to Group Membership to simplify the definition of this membership
- Each member will receive an individual member number. If less than five members renew, the member fees defer to general member category.
- At least 6 members within Practitioner Group Category II must register at one time during initial registration.
a) The balance can be added at another time but the entire corporate membership renews at the date of initial registration, including those individual members that were added at a later time.
b) At least 6 members must renew at once or the member fee will defer to either Practioner Group Category I or to general membership, depending on the number of members submitted for renewal.
- Fees reflect the going rate among other associations in similar size to ASHHRA.
- ASHHRA/SHRM joint members receive a $15 discount on SHRM membership and $25 on ASHHRA membership.
- Consultants receive the $15 discount on the SHRM portion of the Joint ASHHRA/SHRM membership.
- Consultant Group Membership for consultant member discount: comapnies with several employees who want to join ASHHRA may now join for one fee per year.
6. How do I join ASHHRA?
Joining ASHHRA is simple! Join by phone, fax, online with a credit card, or via mail with a check/money order/credit card. Please click here to join or feel free to call ASHHRA at 312.422.3720. Please note that ASHHRA membership is non-transferrable and non-refundable.
Practitioner - Granted to persons who have management or other professional responsibility for HR, personnel or employee-relations function in a health care institution.
Consultant - Granted to consultants, whose primary function is human resources administration in consulting, recruitment, training and development.
Student - Granted to current full-time students who carry at least 12 hours a semester (must provide a transcript and student ID) pursuing a health care HR career and work less than 30 hours a week in a health care facility.
8. If I join today, when will I receive my membership information?
Please allow 2-3 weeks for membership information to be processed. If you have not received your new member card within 3 weeks of submitting your application, please contact the ASHHRA offices at 312.422.3720 or email us at email@example.com.
9. Where do I find my membership number?
Your membership number appears on most mail you receive from ASHHRA. It is the number beginning with 000 above your name and address on the outside of each envelope. If you have trouble locating your membership number you can contact ASHHRA at 312.422.3720 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
10. How do I renew my membership?
Renewing your ASHHRA membership is simple! You will automatically receive an invoice when your membership is about to expire. At that point, you can either renew by phone, fax, online with a credit card, or via mail with a check/money order/credit card. If you have not received an invoice and it is time for you to renew your membership, please call the ASHHRA staff at 312.422.3720. Click here to renew your membership online with a credit card.
11. Is ASHHRA affiliated with SHRM?
Yes. ASHHRA and the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) help you become fully equipped with valuable information on human resources in general and the specialty of health care human resources. Joint ASHHRA / SHRM members enjoy up to a $40 discount on the total cost for both ASHHRA and SHRM annual dues. If you are ready to renew your SHRM membership and are interested in an ASHHRA membership, renew on the ASHHRA site as a Joint Member. Please note that we are unable to prorate any memberships, so you must join/renew both memberships at the same time through the ASHHRA website. Contact us at 312.422.3720 if you have any questions.
12. I am a certified HR professional. Do ASHHRA programs count toward PHR/SPHR/GPHR recertification credits?
ASHHRA is an approved provider authorized by the HR Certification Institute (HRCI). The majority of ASHHRA programs count toward the PHR/SPHR/GPHR recertification.
ASHHRA members have plenty of volunteer opportunities to participate on a committee, lead or develop other HR professionals, or help out at ASHHRA events. Volunteer slots are only open to ASHHRA members. Click here to complete a volunteer form if you are interested.
14. What is ASHHRA the HR Leader Model?
ASHHRA created the HR Leader Model to identify the prerequisite core competencies for HR leaders in health care and is determined to support current HR professionals in bridging the gap to reach these competencies.
Click here for more information or Download the HR Leader Model
15. How do I contact ASHHRA with further questions?
ASHHRA continues to bring you additional value for your membership. Please do not hesitate to share your comments and suggestions with us. Contact ASHHRA at 312-422-3720 or at email@example.com.