The American Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration (ASHHRA) of the American Hospital Association (AHA) is the nation’s only membership organization dedicated to meeting the needs of human resources professionals in health care.
Founded in 1964, the American Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration (ASHHRA) is a professional membership group of the American Hospital Association (AHA) and has more than 3,000 members nationwide. ASHHRA leads the way for members to become more effective, valued, and credible leaders in health care human resources. As the foremost authority in health care human resources, ASHHRA provides timely and critical support through research, learning and knowledge sharing, professional development, products and resources, and provides opportunities for networking and collaboration. ASHHRA offers the only certification distinguishing health care human resource professionals, the Certified in Healthcare Human Resources (CHHR).
- Who are ASHHRA members?
- Why should I join ASHHRA?
- Where do I find my membership number?
- I am a certified HR professional. Do ASHHRA programs count toward PHR/SPHR/GPHR recertification credits?
1. Who is ASHHRA?
The American Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration (ASHHRA) – a personal membership group of the American Hospital Association (AHA), is the nation’s only membership organization dedicated exclusively to meeting the needs of health care human resources practitioners. ASHHRA is recognized as the premier source of educational resources, industry research, HR tools, networking and best practices for the health care HR professional. When you join ASHHRA, you are investing in your future while helping to advance the transformation of the health care HR leader.
Founded in 1964, ASHHRA represents more than 3,000 human resources professionals across the nation. ASHHRA is governed by a 13-member board of directors, four standing committees and more than 45 affiliated chapters who are all committed to enhancing the profession and moving forward toward one common goal – excellence in health care human resources.
VISION: Be the leaders in health care Human Resources workforce policy, advocacy and best practices.
MISSION: To advance the human side of health care, the American Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration (ASHHRA) leads the way for highly effective, valued and credible leaders.
VALUES: Trust, People, Integrity, Leadership, Diversity, Collaboration, Excellence, and Innovation.
ASHHRA members are professionals with human resource responsibilites in the field of health care, including students, new to the profession, mid-level professionals and executive-level health care human resources professionals. ASHHRA members come from health care networks, hospitals and other care providers.
- Energize your organization's people strategies through quality educational programs presented by top-tier health care HR executives
- Enhance your professional growth and development
- Expand your professional network
- Prepare to earn the Certified in Healthcare Human Resources (CHHR) designation.
To learn more about what’s in it for you, click here for more information.
- Educational Resources - The focus is on all resources, products, services and programs that help you enhance your professional skills and development, and assist you with becoming a well-trained leader in health care HR
- Tools & Resources - The products and services in this product line give you immediate access to all that ASHHRA has to offer via the interactive Web site. You can access industry based information, surveys, processes, and best practices to effectively manage the ROI of your organization
- Recognition and Awards - Members are eligible for industry-wide recognition of individual accomplishments through the ASHHRA Awards Program
- Leadership Opportunities - A 13-member board of directors, including representatives from non-hospital healthcare, a hospital CEO, and a member new to the healthcare profession, plus the president, vice president and immediate past president
- Several committees, subcommittees, and task forces on local and national levels.
- Joint membership in ASHHRA and SHRM
- Chapter Involvement: More than 36 state, regional and metropolitan professional organizations are affiliated with ASHHRA. Most ASHHRA officers and board members first gained national visibility by rising through their chapter leadership ranks.
- Access to benchmarking data, workplace best practices, research and other tools
- Educational events led by industry experts and thought leaders (most are HRCI-approved)
- Exclusive events for senior health care HR executives
- Online Career Center widely recognized as the source for top health care HR talent; posting of health care HR positions
- Volunteer opportunities which enhance your HR toolkit and expand your professional network while supporting ASHHRA's professional education efforts
To learn more about benefits of membership, click here for more information.
Annual Membership Dues (Effective Jan. 1, 2016)
|Academic/Student and Retired||
|Practitioner Group Membership**|
|Group 1 I: 1 to 5 Members||$750|
|Group II: 6 to 10 Members||$1250|
|Consultant Group Membership
(for consultant members only; see additional information below)
*For more info on Joint ASHHRA / SHRM Membership, click here.
**Pricing indicated under "Group Memberships" is for ASHHRA Membership only.
Membership Categories / Requirements
Practitioner: Practitioner membership in ASHHRA shall be granted to individuals who have professional responsibilities for Human Resources or employee relations functions in organizations across the continuum of care.
Consultant: Consultant membership in ASHHRA shall be granted to individuals who support Human Resource leadership in organizations across the continuum of care through consultative services.
Academic/Student: Academic membership in ASHHRA shall be granted to individuals who are currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program, and shall provide proof of enrollment in a college or university.
Retired: Retiree membership in ASHHRA shall be granted to individuals who formerly supported organizations across the continuum of care, but are no longer regularly working or consulting in organizations across the continuum of care. (Must have been a previous ASHHRA member.) Consultant members are not eligible.
Additional Membership Information
- Membership dues are non-refundable.
- Each member within a group membership will receive an individual member number.
- Joint ASHHRA/SHRM members receive a $15 discount on SHRM membership and $25 on ASHHRA membership.
- Consultants receive the $15 discount on the SHRM portion of the Joint ASHHRA/SHRM membership.
- Membership processing will take 5-7 business days for all Joint ASHHRA/SHRM memberships
- Consultant Group Membership for consultant member discount: companies with several employees who want to join ASHHRA may now join for one fee per year.
6. How do I join ASHHRA?
Joining ASHHRA is simple! Join by phone, fax, online or via mail. Click here to join or call ASHHRA at (312) 422-3720. Please note that ASHHRA membership is non-transferrable and non-refundable.
7. If I join today, when will I receive my membership information?
Joining online or by phone results in immediate membership activation. Please allow 2-3 weeks for membership information to be processed if paying by mail. If you have not received your new member card within 3 weeks of submitting your application, please contact ASHHRA at (312) 422-3720 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Where do I find my membership number?
Your membership number appears on most mail you receive from ASHHRA. If you have trouble locating your membership number you can contact ASHHRA at 312.422.3720 or email us at email@example.com
9. How do I renew my membership?
Renewing your ASHHRA membership is simple! You will automatically receive an invoice by mail when your membership is about to expire. At that point, you can either renew by phone, fax, online with a credit card, or via mail with a check/money order/credit card. If you have not received an invoice and it is time for you to renew your membership, please call the ASHHRA staff at (312) 422-3720. Click here to renew your membership online with a credit card.
10. Is ASHHRA affiliated with SHRM?
Yes. ASHHRA and the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) help you become fully equipped with valuable information on human resources in general and the specialty of health care human resources. Joint ASHHRA / SHRM members enjoy up to a $40 discount on the total cost for both ASHHRA and SHRM annual dues. If you are ready to renew your SHRM membership and are interested in an ASHHRA membership, renew through ASHHRA as a Joint ASHHRA / SHRM member. Please note that we are unable to prorate any memberships, so you must join/renew both memberships at the same time through ASHHRA. Contact us at (312) 422-3720 if you have any questions.
11. I am a certified HR professional. Do ASHHRA programs count toward CHHR / PHR / SPHR / GPHR recertification credits?
ASHHRA is an approved provider authorized by the HR Certification Institute (HRCI). Most ASHHRA programs count toward the CHHR / PHR / SPHR / GPHR / SHRM-CP / SHRM-SCP recertification.
12. What volunteer opportunities are available at ASHHRA?
ASHHRA members have plenty of volunteer opportunities to participate on a committee, lead or develop other HR professionals, or help out at ASHHRA events. Volunteer slots are only open to ASHHRA members. Click here to complete a volunteer form if you are interested.
13. What is ASHHRA the HR Leader Model?
ASHHRA created the HR Leader Model to identify the prerequisite core competencies for HR leaders in health care and is determined to support current HR professionals in bridging the gap to reach these competencies.
Click here for more information or Download the HR Leader Model
14. How do I contact ASHHRA with further questions?
ASHHRA continues to bring you additional value for your membership. Please do not hesitate to share your comments and suggestions with us. Contact ASHHRA at (312) 422-3720 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.